Children grow two sets of teeth, namely, primary teeth and permanent teeth. It is important to look after both sets of teeth equally well. The health of your child's primary teeth will determine the health of his permanent teeth. The American Dental Association recommends that your child should visit a dentist as soon as his first tooth erupts. The sooner your child begins his regular dental checkups, the better it is for his oral health. Early diagnosis and treatment help in preventing the development of periodontal and orthodontic problems in the future.
Good habits are a result of routine practice and should be developed in childhood. Your pediatric dentist will help your child in developing good oral hygiene practices and proper brushing and flossing techniques.
What kinds of treatments are provided under pediatric dentistry?
Pediatric dentistry involves the following comprehensive oral health care benefits:
- Risk assessment for caries and cavities in mother and child, through infant oral health exams.
- Preventive dental care procedures like professional dental cleaning, fluoride treatments, application of dental sealants and demonstration of correct brushing and flossing techniques.
- Education on bad oral habits like thumb sucking and prolonged use of pacifiers and bottles.
- Early orthodontic assessment and treatment to avoid future problems like malocclusion.
- Restoration of decayed and damaged teeth with composite fillings.
- Early diagnosis of oral cancer and serious oral conditions which lead to diabetes, hay fever, a congenital heart defect, and asthma.
- Diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- Treatment of injuries due to dental trauma like fractures, chips, and cracks.
What are the common pediatric dentistry procedures?
- Dental sealants
Dental sealants are used to laminate the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars with a special plastic resin. Brushing and flossing help in maintaining good oral health but are unable to clean the grooves and depressions found in the back teeth. Dental sealants seal these vulnerable areas with a plastic coating and protect your child's teeth from decay and cavities. The sealant coating is durable and easily withstands the force of chewing and biting.
- Fluoride treatment
Fluoride varnish treatment involves coating the teeth with a thin layer of fluoride to strengthen the enamel and prevent decays. Your child's mouth houses bacteria that feed on the trapped food particles and release toxins in the form of acid that erodes the tooth enamel. The weakening of the tooth enamel makes the tooth more susceptible to cavities and decay. Fluoride varnish is resistant to the acid secreted by bacteria and helps in preventing decays. It can also reverse the early signs of decay.
- Radiograph exams
X-rays or radiograph examinations are performed for diagnostic and preventive reasons. While performing a comprehensive oral examination, there are a lot of vulnerable areas that are not visible to the naked eye. X-rays are used to perform the following tasks: Spot cavities and caries present between the teeth.
- Determine the cause of swollen gums and facial muscles.
- Assess the damage caused by dental trauma.
- Determine the number of teeth present in the mouth.
- Detect the presence of impacted teeth.
- Evaluate the health of gums and alveolar bone.
- Discover gum and bone recession due to periodontal diseases.
- Determine the need for root canal treatment.
A mouthguard is an essential equipment for children involved in both contact sports and non-contact sports. It reduces the risk of injuries to the teeth, lips, tongue, and soft oral tissues. It also prevents tooth loss and nerve damage and decreases the severity of a concussion.
A mouthguard is easy to maintain and clean. It is durable and does not impair your child's speech. Your child should start wearing a mouthguard early on, to develop a routine and habit.
Our team at Damen Dental Associates specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of a variety of dental ailments. This includes dental exams, professional dental cleanings, root canal treatments or cosmetic enhancements like teeth whitening, Botox treatment, and teeth contouring. We also utilize the latest technology like digital X-rays to devise the best treatment plan for you. If you are looking for a smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction, visit Damen Dental Associates for the best dental experience.