Tooth-colored fillings or composite fillings are used to restore chipped, cracked, worn-out, or decayed teeth. The decay or damage is drilled out and the filling material is bonded to the tooth. They are made of composite resin and mimic the natural color of the surrounding teeth.
Composite fillings are also used for cosmetic enhancements like changing the color of your teeth, closing gapped teeth and make teeth appear even and symmetric.
What are the benefits of composite fillings?
- Tooth-colored fillings or composite fillings blend in really well with the natural teeth and preserve the aesthetics of your mouth.
- Composite fillings bond easily with the tooth's surface and improve the strength of your teeth. They also provide support to the existing tooth.
- The placement of composite fillings is minimally invasive and requires only little enamel-drilling.
- Composite fillings are easy on the surrounding gum tissues and do not cause irritation.
- A curing light is used to harden the composite filling and it dries within a few seconds.
- In the case of chips, cracks or fractures, composite fillings can be easily repaired.
How are composite fillings placed?
Composite fillings are easily placed in a single dental appointment. Your dentist will numb your tooth using anesthesia and prepare your tooth by drilling out the decay. The tooth's surface is then cleaned with disinfectants and the surface is etched to prepare it for receiving the filling.
The composite filling is placed in layers and a special curing light is used to harden the filling. The tooth is then carefully shaped and polished to match the color and shape of the adjacent teeth. You may feel a little sensitivity around the treated tooth but it will eventually subside.
Our team at Damen Dental Associates specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of a variety of dental ailments. This includes dental exams, professional dental cleanings, root canal treatments or cosmetic enhancements like teeth whitening, Botox treatment, and teeth contouring. We also utilize the latest technology like digital X-rays to devise the best treatment plan for you. If you are looking for a smile makeover or full mouth reconstruction, visit Damen Dental Associates for the best dental experience.